28 May HOW TO GET GREEN, WINTER-RESISTANT GRASS
With winter around the corner, the season associated with dreary gardens and dusty turf, many incorrectly believe it is pointless laying new grass. Yes, it is true that many varieties do struggle to establish themselves in winter, but thankfully there is one variety that is particularly unique for its resilience – the Royal Blue or RD 93.
Cynodon transvaalensis as it is scientifically known, is often used for putting greens and fairways on golf courses due to its short, mat-like texture, for its beauty and that it is largely frost tolerant.
As one of our favourite varieties, here are five reasons why you should consider Royal Blue as your lawn of choice this winter:
- It isn’t too particular about soil conditions and will thrive in a wide range of soil types.
- Just like us, it loves the winter (and summer) sun. In fact, it will only grow in full sunlight.
- Known for its short growth, it requires less mowing (which means less work!) in the summertime.
- It is dark green in colour, giving your lawn that desirable healthy look throughout the year.
- Perfect for a variety of sports, this lawn can be found at Jonsson Kings Park Stadium for example.
Available in sods, we offer a range of choices to suit your level of interest in the garden! Get your hands on this hardy lawn this winter by considering the following easy options:
- Have it delivered to you by our friendly team of drivers – we deliver throughout KZN.
- Take the hassle out of planting and have our team lay your lawn for you. Laying includes fertilizer as well as placing, rolling and watering the sods on your already prepared area.